Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer Nesting


I don't know what got into me this week, but I have had an overwhelming desire to nest. Maybe because my only son is graduating college on Saturday and I am feeling a little melancholy.
For the last 4 to 5 years in the spring I put white/cream slipcovers over my family room sofas. Kinda my version of Shabby Chic. I am trying to pretend that I am at my beach house in Santa Cruz spending the summer. Which is really a dream (I will go back one day.)
Those slip covers always looked messy after teenagers and my husband got done lounging. I was always tucking and straightening. What a pain.
So yesterday I had a great idea and finally the time to do it. Instead of just canvas slip covers that didn't fit the sofasI made custom fit slipcovers that look so much better. Its a great sofa in the winter at Christmas time, being green. But in the summer I need a lighter color to survive the hot days here in the foothills outside Sacramento.
I found some cream quilted cotton throws at Marshalls for $ 39 each. I bought 6 of them and one soft green for accent color. While in line with my shopping cart full of quilts, I was mistaken for a employee and asked "Who is going to help you make all those beds?" I thought that guy was flirting with me then when I saw his girlfriend/wife give him a dirty look. Maybe he was.I must have looked a little weird. So anyways last night and this morning I have been busy in my studio working like a mad woman. Ah !!!! They are done and so comfortable and I love the soft look they bring to the room. I need a few more pillows but that's for another day. But I now have a new problem. I don't want anyone to sit on my new white sofas. If my husband even looks in that direction, I quickly throw a quilt over the sofas before he can sit. He just looks at me and shakes his head. What a patient man.
Post a Comment