Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer Nesting


I don't know what got into me this week, but I have had an overwhelming desire to nest. Maybe because my only son is graduating college on Saturday and I am feeling a little melancholy.
For the last 4 to 5 years in the spring I put white/cream slipcovers over my family room sofas. Kinda my version of Shabby Chic. I am trying to pretend that I am at my beach house in Santa Cruz spending the summer. Which is really a dream (I will go back one day.)
Those slip covers always looked messy after teenagers and my husband got done lounging. I was always tucking and straightening. What a pain.
So yesterday I had a great idea and finally the time to do it. Instead of just canvas slip covers that didn't fit the sofasI made custom fit slipcovers that look so much better. Its a great sofa in the winter at Christmas time, being green. But in the summer I need a lighter color to survive the hot days here in the foothills outside Sacramento.
I found some cream quilted cotton throws at Marshalls for $ 39 each. I bought 6 of them and one soft green for accent color. While in line with my shopping cart full of quilts, I was mistaken for a employee and asked "Who is going to help you make all those beds?" I thought that guy was flirting with me then when I saw his girlfriend/wife give him a dirty look. Maybe he was.I must have looked a little weird. So anyways last night and this morning I have been busy in my studio working like a mad woman. Ah !!!! They are done and so comfortable and I love the soft look they bring to the room. I need a few more pillows but that's for another day. But I now have a new problem. I don't want anyone to sit on my new white sofas. If my husband even looks in that direction, I quickly throw a quilt over the sofas before he can sit. He just looks at me and shakes his head. What a patient man.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Melinda,

    I am a new quilter and yesterday bought your 'Love Letter' quilt kit at Tayo's in Fair Oaks. Actually, my husband spotted it and we both fell in love with the one on display. I am so excited to start it later today. Hope I don't mess up!!!! Love your blog and web site. Thanks for the inspiration. By the way love the new slip covers! Gives me some new ideas.....

    Jan in Dixon, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Jan,
    Love letters is a fun and easy pattern.You will love it.
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete