Saturday, July 2, 2011

4th of July



 It has been a busy 2 weeks and it still not over yet.  I spent 5 days in New Mexico teaching in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Then got home on Wednesday and drove down to Monterey to watch our son graduate from the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio and be promoted to Corporal in the United States Marines.  
So the week before the 4th of July I have been immersed in great pride for our country.  Where else in the world could you live in peace with all the diverse ethnic blood pulsating through this country’s veins?  No place but America.  We aren’t perfect, God only knows, but we are free. Free to choose our path in life.  Free to vote.  Free to worship our God and free to Love. 

I was talking to a woman recently about how my son’s generation is different than mine. It’s like no other before it with the possible exception of that of WWII.  There has been a very strong feeling within this younger generation of pride in country and the desire to serve it. She said Sure, it’s because they have infiltrated the schools with military recruiters!   WOW that hurt!  

 You mean I had nothing to do with the raising of my child?   God knows I didn’t want this path for my only child.  I was hoping for, maybe, a dentist.
 But every day he watch Joe and I stand up for our rights. Events such as the Yellow House incident and the Asbestos Fraud, not to mention the yelling at the pastor over children being hurt.   The idea that he could be easily swayed or recruited to give up his life for his country by one guy on campus or be influenced by the dreaded video game and not years of seeing and hearing his parents and grandparents live their lives standing up for what was right, made me sick.
My flight home from New Mexico was through San Diego, another great and beautiful city.  Not just because of is beaches and great weather, but because of its diversity. I had the pleasure of sitting next to a young man of 12 and his mother. We started up a conversation right away.  You could tell he was bright and very polite.  He was visiting family in San Diego.  I could see the pride on her face she as he talked to me. He told me he was Irish, English, Scottish and Samoan. I told him Young man, you are a true American!  I am English, Dutch, German and Cherokee.  He gave me a nod of his head and a high five and then we all laughed.  This young man did not get this way because of the influence of school but because of the influence of his parents.


So as my son graduated we had the opportunity to meet his instructors who originally lived in several countries in the Middle East.  They, too, came to America just like your family and mine, seeking the freedom to raise their children, worship God and be free to choose their own path.   As proud as I am of my son, it was obvious that his instructors shared that same feeling for each of their students. 

I hope you and your family celebrate a safe and happy Independence Day.

9 comments:

  1. Try not to let the ignorant woman's comments bother you. All the branches of the service have had recruiters at the high schools since I can remember, they were there when I was a senior in high school in 1965 (the Vietnam era), when my daughter was a senior in high school in 1986 and probably all the years in between and since. My father was in the Air Force, my brother was in the Navy and my husband was a Marine who served in Vietnam. I am still very proud of him and still angry at the way the men and women returning from Vietnam were treated. People could not separate the service men and women from their feelings about the war. I am glad they have now learned better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I am thankful that you and Joe have raised a son that will help protect our freedom-how proud you two must be. Thank him for his service for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your son, and all of your family. That woman was ignorant - just ignore her - you won't change her mind. Just be proud of all you and yours have accomplished! Happy 4th to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS to your son! Congratulations also to you and Joe! The Defense Language Institute is a very prestigious "all branches" military college - what an honor for your son to have been selected to attend and graduate from there! You said that his instructors were originally from the Middle East - wherever he is stationed next I pray that God will protect him! May God bless all of you and give you and Joe peace and reassurance while your son is away. We are retired USAF, and now live in San Diego's North County. I love living here because there is so much encouragement and pride from the whole county for their military families - active duty or retired! I share your convictions - we have 2 daughters also in your son's generation and I agree with you - they are successful not because of what colleges / influences they were exposed to in their late teens. They were "Air Force Brats" and lived many places in the US and abroad! They experienced first hand what it takes to keep Americans free, and also what our country is really about! May you have also have a wonderful 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell your son, THANK YOU. So, that today I can be free to celebrate our freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How proud you must be---congratulations to your son, you, and your husband! Thanks for returning the music to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great point of view about this country and it is obvious that you are very proud of your son.
    I appreciate you attitude about your responsibility as a parent for him making the decisions he has made.
    As a retired school teacher I know how important that role is that parents play in their children's lives.
    Your quilts are amazing and beautiful. Those words are trite an are inadequate to describe them.
    Congratulations for your award in Paducah.
    You are scheduled to visit my guild the Chattahoochee Evening Stars in Alpharetta, GA in October and I decided to look at your website and blog.
    I am a retired art teacher who started quilting five years ago. I do art quilts and have been fortunate enough to win a few awards. Next week I will be in Knoxville where one of my quilts will be shown.
    I love nature and your flowers and the Monterey scene really appeal to me.
    I look forward to your visit to Alpharetta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melinda-You must be so proud of your son! I have one son in basic training for the Air Force, and one son working towards joining the Marines. My sister has two sons in the Army, and my husband has a nephew in the Navy. All the boys made their decisions well out of high school. We're very proud of our military guys!
    Sherry in Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  9. it means a lot to here your words.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete