Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Houston Quilts

This is my friend Alice and her beautiful daughter. I always see them every year in Houston even though Alice lives near me in Sacramento. This time they introduced me to their friend that just happened to win First Place for Roses of Shenandoah - RITA VERROCA of WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CALIFORNIA . You will be seeing a lot more of Rita. Her designs are great and she is a really nice person.

The 3 quilts above are from Prize winning quilts from International Quilt Week Yokohama 2008. They where fantastic. I wish I had taken more pictures.
This pear was really cool. I still can't figure out how she did it.
These are just some of the different quilts that caught my eye in Houston at the IQA show.
I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted because I bought the new CD that had all the quilts on it. Well, not all of the quilts, it only had the winners. That was disappointing because we will get our fill of them over the next year including my own but I wanted to see all the other quilts on the CD.
Oh well, here are some that I really liked and was wise enough to take a picture of with my phone. Love the iPhone.
I loved the installation piece from the German guild that lives in the Black Forest. It represents a fabric forest.
Then there was this Baltimore Quilt all done by hand. It just happens to be the same one I am doing. In fact, on the bottom row is a vase with a flower. That is the same block I put on my Baltimore Album Vase quilt. Mine doesn't look anything like hers. She was a lovely lady and she had done this all by hand. Wow, is right. Can't wait to get mine done. Only I will be machine quilting mine.
I loved this whimsical quilt. I don't know the maker or the name but those birds are so cute.

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing the last quilt. It was done by a man and the fabrics came from many different people. Can't remember much more except that either he challenged himself to do something with all the fabrics or it was another challenge. I think he has a blog but I can't remember his name - darn!

    ReplyDelete