Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Art of Weight Loss

 Marcia, Jan and Cindy 1974
or 
Mindy Jacqui and Cynthia 1979
The frustration with trying to lose weight is about to do me in.  I am exercising and really eating the right things but for the last week nothing, I mean NOTHING has happened except I have watched some really funny YouTube videos while on the treadmill and learned some new ways to enjoy celery. Yummy.
Last night I was watching Entertainment Tonight.  Can you tell Joe is out of town?  There was Marcia Brady proudly showing off her new body. She is the same age as me and down to 113 for a photo shoot.  I have never been 113.  She has lost 50 pounds.  She was so happy because this was the same weight she was when the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii and Bobby found the scary tiki  that put a curse on the Brady family. Don't act like you don't remember.  So there she was in her new skinny body.  I need to know how she did it.  After the show suckers me in for almost an hour I NEED to know how she did it.  Here I am, on my diet, working hard to lose 1 pound only to gain it back.  What is her secret?  The show is back after 45 commercials, one which was for Jenny Craig.  I am on the edge of the sofa, waiting and...............

Oh, that's her secret.  Why didn't I think of that.  It's so simple. She got a personal trainer,  has a chef to cook all her food and she must have money, or is getting some, because she can work out 2 hours a day.   And after 8 months she dropped 50 pounds. You go, girl!  We will all just go out and get personal trainers.

OK, so I sound a little angry,  it is really just disappointment. You know how I feel?  I hope you do.
There is not one woman alive that doesn't, after the age of 40, have trouble with her weight.  I look back at photo albums of me just 5 to 7 years ago and see I was 15 pounds smaller and can't believe how good I looked but how fat I thought I was at the time.  That is sad.

Learning to be content with one's self is an art form and I would like to master that art. I have a successful career that is more than I could have ever dreamed of.  My son is prospering in his adult life and my husband, my sweet husband, looks at me like I am the hottest thing going. Thank God, I haven't gotten him those new glasses yet.

So it's just me that is getting in the way again!  So this is my plan for just today:  I am going to think like I am strong, thin and young.  Go and get my manicure and even a tan.  Because tan fat is always better than white fat.  One day at a time.
But first I have to do 35 minutes on the treadmill.  That is also part of the art.

Post a Comment