Monday, December 28, 2009

Facing Your Fears




On New Year's Eve I have to take the written drivers test to renew my driver's license. What a way to start the New Year. I get to stand in a line at the California DMV, which is a nightmare in itself. Comedians have made big careers of making fun of the DMV employees alone. Then I will have to get a new picture taken. Great, now I will really look my age. Eek!
Of course, I will have to lie (again) about my weight. Maybe it won't be that bad. Who am I kidding? I will probably have my applique or knitting with me on that day while I wait.
But really, I am getting excited about the New Year. I have some new things planned and will be traveling and teaching all over - even on a cruise to Hawaii.

Not that this year was bad or anything. On the contrary, it was wonderful and full of new adventures. I traveled a lot and met great people that taught me so much. I am proud that I pushed myself not to be afraid. There is nothing scary on the other side of your fear - really, I mean it.

So for this new year I hope and pray for you. I want the best in the new year for those people around me that are worried about the future, the economy and are facing new challenges. I pray for the best for you, the few of you who actually read this blog. We have a connection and it means a lot to me.

I have the same new years resolution I have had for a while now: to not be afraid, to be as creative as I can and when people are mean don't take it serious since (hopefully) the problem is them.

You and I have nothing to lose. Well, maybe our pride, but we can always get more of that.
So we will see what the new year has for all of us. If I can give advice, which I probably shouldn't, I would say don't try and lose weight in the new year but do something that really matters just for you. And guess what? You might just lose the weight because you fell better about yourself.

Please let me know how you do.

OK , I guess I do need a new driver's license. This picture is so 80's with the big hair and all.
Happy and Blessed New Year from the Bula Family.

6 comments:

  1. Fun post. Love your flower quilt. Remember to bring hand sanitizer, and even extra mini-kleenex to DMV. I went recently and was surprised how many VERY sick people were sneezing & coughing w/o kleenex. Fortunately I didn't get ill, but I wish I had brought hand sanitizer & kleenex with me. Ooooh!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda - you can count me in as someone who regularly reads your blog - thank you. And best wishes to you for a wonderful 2010. My husband and I both have some challenges coming up this year with our fragile job situations yet we are trying to stay calm and hopeful. Blessings to you and perhaps our paths will cross in the new year.

    Karen

    firstfruitflowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Melinda. I hope this next year is everything you hope for. I too need to conquer my fear, and I believe this coming year will be a milestone year for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your words. You could have been speaking directly to me. Here's to a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you. We just enjoyed a wonderful fireworks display that is designed to frighten away any evil spirits for the oncoming year. It didn't work so well last year. Maybe it will succeed this year. I'm excited to hear you will be in Hawaii during this year. Hopefully I'll be able to attend any lectures or classes you may choose to do while on land. =!=

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspirational post! Seriously. You've inspired me to think about what really matters. And I pray for the best for you, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete