Thursday, August 6, 2009

To Dye or Not To Dye

I have try with all my power not to go there. I have always known it would be trouble. "Stay Away", I would say to myself. "You might get addicted. That's the last thing you need,"would go through my head.
Well, it happened 2 days ago while I was cooking dinner at the same time. ( I like to multi task) We where having pasta of course. It started with, I will just tack this fabric over the stretcher bars and see what happens.
I let my guard down only for a minute and the next thing I know, I was up to my elbow in the most beautiful color you have ever seen. Paint and dye were flying. I was in true artist heaven. Yes i said it. I am now painting fabric. OK, fine. I truly can't stop. Then I hear Joe say, "is dinner ready yet?" which brought me back to reality.
The feel of the paint brush in my hand, watching the color flow across the fabric was the best. Even the washing and ironing, was all a thrill. That's when you know you are in big trouble.
Now what do I do? I have been the queen of commercial fabrics. All my art quilts have been made with store bought fabric or I have bought from other hand dyers.
But I haven't been able to find just the right colors for my color palate. So the only way to get just the right colors is to do it myself. Which has been dangerous in the passed. That is how I started a wallpaper and fabric design business 15 years ago.
So now I can't wait until my next bolt of white fabric comes in. How fast you go through 12 yards of fabric while making pasta, is amazing.
Last night Joe asked me if i saw the patio chairs on the deck? That is where I was painting.
Can you believe that somebody got green paint on them. Oops!


Today I will be cleaning up my mess with bleach. But after that, I am going to the studio to make my coneflower and sunflowers with my NEW hand dyed and painted fabrics.
My motto has always been, "If you can't find it. make IT!"

4 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel, minus the pasta. I'm going to be taking a class with a bubbly lady who will keep us laughing and learning...all in her backyard. I know I will then have a bit more freedom in material selections and design too. What fun! BarbR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, your post is just as if I wrote it...if I let my "gard" down one of these days, LOL!! I am sooo dangerously close!! And seeing your amazing, bright and vibrant colors is just pushing me too close...Now, should I start cooking pasta for dinner tonight?? It just might happen! Thanks for the laugh and inspiration! Marija in Buffalo, NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh la la - beautiful colors. Can't wait to see your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fabrics are wonderful. If you're like me, your husband will soon be making dinner while you are working in your dye studio! LOL

    ReplyDelete