Friday, July 3, 2009

The Quilt Show and Me

Well, it's finally here. The Quilt Show is now showing a slide presentation of my episode (#501) that will start airing on July 6th. Why I can't seam to keep my hands from waving in the air I don't know. I'm not Italian. Maybe my Native America ancestors were very animated. I do know some where preachers on that side, so maybe that's it, I'm leading the church choir. I have a funny felling that my life is about to change big time.

It all started about 13 years ago when Joe, Matt and I moved to Sacramento. I didn't want to move there. We where living by the beach in Aptos, which I loved. I love the sand, the water, even the fog.

The economy was like it is today (crappy) and we had to go for financial reasons to find a cheaper place to live and for Californians there aren't many choices. Back then a starter home at the beach was $350,000 for 900 square feet of fixer upper, which meant it was missing some windows and doors and maybe part of the roof (AWESOME, it has a skylight!) So Sacramento, here we come. I cried all the way. When we arrived it was a wonderful 108 degrees in May. I had no friends or family close by and had just given up my fabric and wallpaper design business. Plus it was just too hot. You couldn't go for a walk until 9:00 at night. I was a little depressed to say the least.

One hot and steamy day I was clicking the remote and stumbled on a new TV show called Simply Quilts. The host was cute and bubbly and she was making quilts. I liked to make quilts. She was even incorporating art into her quilts. Maybe I could make a quilt to keep myself busy until the weather changed. Off to WalMart I went to buy fabric. I didn't even know there were such things as quilt shops. I made 5 quilts in about 2 months. I was obsessed.
So it is very appropriate that I have found myself on The Quilt Show today.
Who new that years after I thought my life was over and I had given up the job I loved and had to change everything in my life that I would be doing my passion and sitting next to Alex and Ricky in La Veta, Colorado. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the show and check out my cute shoes. Sorry for all the arm waving.

11 comments:

  1. I just finished watching the show and loved it. I am a quilter and avid gardener and was so inspired. I love art quilts, but have been hesitant to try working on one. I will be ordering your book and trying your technique. Keep producing and good luck you are truly and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda--Watched your show last night (it always posts at 9pm California time) and it was great! One of the best shows they have had. Your flowers are gorgeous, and I hope to take a class from you sometime in the future, especially since we are practically neighbors (well, I live in the foothills too...) Maybe next year's flowers at the lake. I love lake tahoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I did notice your shoes, and they were very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the show from Australia - and have never been inspired to do any type of applique, but that may very well change after today. Lovely show and I love the black backs on your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda, I just watched your show in TQS and love it. I always wanted to make flowers like that but was a little intimidated (and I don't get intimadated easily). I am now ready to start. You have no idea what you just created. Thanks a lot for your instruction.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melinda - I just watched the Quilt Show yesterday and thought your episode was the best so far this year (maybe the best ever - I've only been subscribed since January). I didn't even notice your hand waving around, but I did notice your positive attitude and fun personality. It really made me want to take a class from you. Thank you for taking up quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy quilting Melinda...just watched tqs show 501 and am totally inspired by your work. Thank you for sharing and giving us tips and hints on using color in our quilts.
    Between yourself and Ricky color is becoming much easier to use in quilts.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved watching you on the show and am in awe of your creations. You have such a gift and it was uplifting to hear the excitement in your voice when you talked about your passion. Best wishes to you as you continue to design such beautiful fabric gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't had a chance to watch the show just yet, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your lecture today at the Camarillo Quilter's Assocation/Guild. What an absolute treat!! Your quilts were stunning but I really love how you kept us laughing. You are a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so funny....It sounds like we have the same kind of husband!
    I just came back from the Sisters Oregon Quilt Show... wish you were there. They had 1300 quilts this year but none that compares to yours.
    Cheers!
    Mrs Peeks Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful duvet miracles ! Beautiful rose duvet !congratulations beautiful works .
    Marika Hungary is a greeting.

    ReplyDelete