Thursday, December 20, 2012

Working on "Paradise"

Merry Christmas!
Walk to the beach.
Where does your inspiration come from?   Mine comes from everywhere, especially when I travel.  I am so grateful for the sweet time I have at the end of this busy year to just reflect.   It’s been a great year but there has not been a lot of pure creative days, one right after another. I should be making Christmas cookies and putting up lights but I have had this quit idea I'm about to show you  in my head for the last 6 months.
Coconuts scattered on the beach. 

That is why it's been so sweet to go to the studio and play in fabric day after day.  What a beautiful gift.  Thank you, God.  Soon, these days will be over and back on the road I go.  I still get to work on my art but not weeks at a time to play.

Here is a little of what has been on my design wall. It all started with my trip to Australia this summer, which was winter in Australia.  I taught at Quilting in the Highlands where they even had a Christmas in July luncheon. So I did have an early Christmas.  After my teaching gig we took a much needed holiday and flew up to the town of Cairns on the Great Barrier Reef.  It was warm and sunny there, closer to the equator.
The Great Barrier Reef is out there somewhere.
I sat every day with my little child’s sketch book that I bought at the MOA museum in Sydney and painted the beach and the palm trees, the waves and the rocks and even a picture of Joe I can’t show you.   The paints were not that good but the exercise of looking closely embedded the views in my mind.  So, of course, when I got home I had to recreate my images into fabric and thread.


Paint set.
I was so happy to find this paint set at the museum. The paper was the wrong kind and would curl when you added the wet paint.  The paint brush was the size of a tooth brush but I would have painted with a stick.
Jungle outside our tree house.
So here are some of my photos, my little paintings and my art quilt, Paradise. The painting of Joe in going in the vault.

Morning light on the beach.


 New quilt called Paradise.  This is what I have started from my painting and photos.
Cutting table. 

Palm trees overhead.

Yes, I cut every one of those pieces.

Working on the refection in the water and the clouds in the sky.
My paints at home.
Joe
PS. If you want some Christmas Joy read my last post for a good laugh.

7 comments:

  1. Spectacular! Get a real sense of dimension and depth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is unbelievable! Thank you for sharing, what an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing quilt in progress! Thank you for sharing, this is really inspirational to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you have gotten some time to create. Paradise is fabulous-what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda,You always find things I love. The beach, flowers...no wonder I am so drawn to your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is truly amazing Melinda. I met you in Ireland a couple of years ago. I am the one who was helping people with their machines at the Saturday class!!! Cheers and Happy New Year from Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspirational as always. Congratulations on your latest win!

    ReplyDelete