Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Classes for Houston

Sorry I haven't written in a while - it’s been crazy around here. But what is new?  Had a wonderful time teaching at the AQS Grand Rapids show in August and can’t wait to do it again next year.  But now it's time to get ready for the Big Show and I don't mean the Ringling Brothers are in town!  I mean that other big Circus, the International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas.  If you have never been you have to go once in your life.  It is always amazing and very creative and inspirational.  

I have been working hard on my quilt for the silent auctions.  Last years winner got a really good deal on a fabulous, one of a kind quilt designed and made by me.  Here is this years quilt called "Fuchsia". Who is going to be the lucky winner?  I can't wait to see.  And Mom, if you are reading this, you can't bid.

Thread work on the back.
This year at IQA I am teaching and then teaching and a little more teaching.   So I wanted to get you and myself prepared for the Big Show.  If you have signed up for one of my classes here is some more information about them.  Over the next few weeks I will talk about the classes and my process in dying the fabrics and answer any questions you may have about the classes and what to bring.  If you’re not signed up you will miss all the fun.  Plus, I share with my students tips and tricks that I have learned over the years and share any mishaps that might be going on.  Usually they involve me, myself and I and some wacky incidents. What am I saying? It always involves me and something stupid. Last year’s show was no exception - just read about my windy day dress incident in a past blog.  I don’t plan on repeating that one.
Here are the days and classes I am teaching:


Tuesday, October 30:       Fabulous Fusible Flowers  - Bluebonnet
Wednesday, October 31:  Fabulous Fusible Flowers - Zinnia
Thursday, November 1:   Fabulous Fusible Flowers - Bluebonnet
Friday, November 2:       Renegade Thread Play
Saturday, November 3:   Saturday Sampler - 10am - noon
Sunday, November 4:      Sleep in and see the show then go home and sleep some more.


So let's start with the Texas Bluebonnet Class. Now, if you are from another state you will notice that we all  have a similar flower called by a different name and they may vary in color and size in each state.  In Texas is it called a bluebonnet   Here in California it's called the lupine.
  
I even have an oil painting by my grandmother, Lois, that she painted of bluebonnets in a field in Texas
It is a fun and striking flower to have and make. And all skill levels are welcome. Grandma would have loved this.

The class includes a hand dyed fabric kit with all the flower and leaf fabrics to make your bluebonnet. I have been busy hand-dying the fabrics and they look great.

You need 1 yard of a background fabric that you want to see your flowers on.  If you are not sure what background to bring, it always safe to bring a lot to choose from.  I will help you make that decision and give you some great tips on how to pick the right color for your flowers.  Remember, we have a 2 hour lunch and you can always go shopping.  I know its tough but someone has to do it.

We don’t start with the background fabric - we start with the flowers then add the background.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Whee! 

Email me or leave a comment if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment