Friday, December 13, 2019

Upcoming Retreat Feb 23-28 2020 Pacific Grove



Have you ever wanted to learn how I do this kind of art quilting? Or should I say painting? Actually, there is no paint used on any of my quilts to create these flowers - it's just luscious fabrics like batiks, hand-dyes and mono-colored prints . I have an independent study class February 23-28, 2020 at Empty Spools Seminars. February is a great time to visit the beautiful beaches in central California, so fly right into nearby Monterey and get out of the cold.


This quilt started out with a photo for inspiration. I took this photo in my backyard in El Dorado Hills, CA 4 years ago. I did a drawing, then a tracing and then the most important part, selecting my fabrics. I hand-dyed a lot fabrics for this Camellia. Batiks work great, too. Avoid solid fabrics - they don't work because they are too flat. Your fabrics can have little prints on them as that gives some great texture. The key, as always, is to have more fabrics than you think you will need.

Don't forget about the values in your fabrics. You will need the lightest lights to the darkest darks. Watch me select and arrange my fabric palette in this video.



At this retreat you may want to work on your Thread Painting. 
My quilting technique is called Renegade Thread Play because I had to invent a new way to quilt my flower quilts. I've been doing this a long time and back in the 90's it was pretty wild, if you can believe that. Traditional quilting did not work so I had to be a Renegade
The threads soften the bold fabric shapes and adds details like veins in the petals and leaves. It can also add more shading or accentuate the highlights on the edges of a petal.
It's another tool for adding more color and value to finish off your beautiful flower quilt.

 This is called Fresh As A Daisy. I am also showing you the back of the quilt and my thread painting.

And yes, I wind a lot of bobbins.

 I'll show you how to curve your threads as you quilt to give your flower that 3-dimensional look.  I'll also share a secret for how to sew through thick fusible web. 

 Let's say you want to relax, play with fabric, and enjoy the great venue without all the thinking that goes with creating from your own picture. Well, I have another option for you. I have many beautiful patterns you can choose from that will guide you through the complete process of creating a beautiful flower.  If this appeals to you, go to my site, melindabula.com and decide which pattern you want to do.  Let me know your choice and I will email you the supply list for the flower you want to make and you're ready to select fabrics for your visit to the beach. If you want, I can make up a fabric kit for the flower you select.

 I hope you will  join me this Feb 23-28 at Empty Spools Seminars . any question email me at, melbula@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment