Saturday, April 13, 2019

And it began. The rebirth of my creative space, the studio! This is the room I value the most beside the kitchen. Not so much because I love to cook; I do, but I really like to eat more! 
The studio is my other right arm, a part of my body and extension of myself, I thought, and then it was all was destroyed, burnt to the ground, melted in the fire. It made me stop, take a deep breath and reflect on who I am as an artist. Everything is gone - what does that mean?  What would it mean for you?

If you’re like me, you can't stop making things or creating even when I have no paints, fabric, or tools of the trade. Then I realized that creativity has nothing to do with what is on your studio walls or in your drawers but what is in your head and heart.  It’s not stuff!  I feel a new freshness arising that can go any direction I want. I'm not tied to the past but still have all the sweet lessons I learned from each piece I created. So maybe this is more of a blessing than a loss - can a new direction be the ultimate creative gift?

So, I am looking forward to the future but first I need some tools to start my new journey. The first thing I needed and did not have was a pencil! Just a simple yellow # 2 pencil. l wanted to draw but all we had were pens from Holiday Inn Express. That just didn't do it for me. Another thing the fire does to you is make you value little things that you never valued before. Like the pencil. I have neglected how important this item is in my world.  As the young man expressed to me at the store counter, "Do people really still use pencils?"  I guess I'm not the only one who has taken the lowly pencil for granted. Happy to say I now have 10 pencils, very sharp and ready to go at a moment’s notice. I'm so happy.

I thought I would share the rebuilding of my studio and this crazy next phase of my creative life. You can survive without all that stuff but the pencil is still a much-needed tool.


And always get good insurance!
Studio Tour: This room is big enough to have my computer and sewing stuff all in the same room. Probably because I have no stash to store. We will see how this works in the future.


Right behind the computer table are my 2 IKEA tables that can be raised to 36" high if need be. The tall book shelves are also from IKEA. This side of the table is where I have been doing my cross stitches.
"Long and Winding Road" by Black Bird Designs. 


I just got a shipment of Hoffman of California batiks to make fabric kits for my classes, the web site and retreat. My new BERNINA 770 QE is on order! Can’t wait but in the meantime, I ordered a JUKI straight stitch machine off Amazon!  I also lost my previous JUKI in the fire. I had 8 sewing machines which included a Brother embroidery machine, Brother serger, 2 older BERNINAs and a BERNINA 750 QE.  Not to mention the Kenmore my sister and I used to make most of our clothes in high school. I kept all the machines together, when not in use, in my studio closet.  When we were finally able to see our melted property, I started digging around looking for anything left. I found 3 BERNINA knee lifts all in a pile and in pretty good condition. But no sewing machines.

My new large cutting table. It can also be raised and lowered. Got on Amazon. 2 sets of IKEA dressers that will hold future fabrics. The wall with the dog quilt will soon be a design wall.

 

I now have 2 rulers and a rotary cutter thanks to the great goodie bags teaches get when teaching at IQF.  
My first fabric where gifts from Paula Nadelstern and Kimberly Einmo. Thanks, girls!

And, to top it all off, the view!  It may not be the mountains with trees but will be a beautiful swimming pool. I look forward to the future.


5 comments:

  1. I love seeing your creative space and celebrate your spirit--you are an inspiration to many of us. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the 'new' creativeness. I hope you find your new normal soon. Glad your hubby could save some of your lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your progress and attitude! And especially love your new cutting table—I looked for it on Amazon but couldn’t locate it. Do you have a SKU or the name of the item? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your positivity is wonderful, as is your new space! Looking forward to seeing your next creative chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there
    Through Bonnie's post from Mackinac, I am new to your work. My thoughts are with you in rebuilding studio and everything after your loss. I have a lot of solid scraps and small pieces (going back about 30 years -omg)as I used to do a lot of Amish inspired pieces. Would be happy to send you some if you wish to specify any particular colors.
    How has the table worked out vis a vis stability - I am leery of tables without 4 feet on the ground.
    Take care ~Dallas D from Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete