Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Wedding!

photo by Justin Mina
Well, we did it. We married off my only child this last week in beautiful San Diego.
And wow, what a wonderful wedding it was. The best thing I did was get the wedding planner. She did a great job.  It really does save you money (and your piece of mind.)  julie@thebestweddingforyou.com

photos by Justin Mina
But the funniest thing that happened started out as the saddest thing and I almost lost it when it happened.  I wrote about finding just the right dress a few blogs back. Well, I though I was set but when we arrived in San Diego I thought I better try that dress on one more time before the wedding, just in case. I have been traveling a lot which means eating out more than I like.  So I squeezed into my super full body armor lovingly called Spanks, followed by the dress.  It felt a little tight at first.  Then I started to sweat.  This can’t be happening. I called to Joe for help in zipping me up.  He can’t get the zipper up.  I feel sweat dripping in my eyes or were those tears?  OMG, the dress is too tight.  I am now experiencing the mother of the groom’s worst nightmare.  My dress doesn’t fit.  I burst into tears.  Joe tries to calm me down.  Do you think it could be just a little water weight?  No, this is just plain fat. Its OK, he says, we will just go and find you another dress.  Mind you, he is exhausted by this point. I had woken him up out of a sound sleep at 4am this morning to drive 8 hours from Sacramento to San Diego so we could miss any LA traffic to the OC. Thank God we did because we arrived in plenty of time to look for a new dress.   We Google the nearest Macys and off we go.  I am still in my Spanks which I can’t take off because I am still sweating like a race horse and you can’t peel spanks off a sweaty body no matter how hard you try. You can only be cut out of them. I need the Jaws of Life by this point.

At the store I grab the first dress I see and run into the dressing room and my husband becomes Mr. Joey, my personal shopper.  He starts throwing dresses at me 2 at a time.  And, by the way, he has great taste.  I think he got that from his uncle Quentin and Aunt Russ.  I quickly model them for his approval.  He was like a mad man and I have never seen him like this. It was awesome now that I think about it.   He didn’t even look at the prices. Then he found it.  A beautiful blue dress that fit.  He said I looked hot but I thought he was just trying to make me stop feeling like a loser.   He then took me to the jewelry department and bought me a new necklace for this dress.  What a guy.

That night for dinner I had a light broth and carrot sticks. Yummy! 
The next morning I felt a little better and a little lighter. Could it be?  Joe was in the shower so I reached in the closet and pulled out the first dress.  I know I must be a masochist.  I didn’t even reach for the super Spanks. And guess what?  It fit.  It was water bloating.  So now I have 2 dresses, but I wore the blue dress because Mr. Joey bought it for me.

When I arrive at the wedding my sister Cindy said Is that a Ralph Lauren dress?  Wow! You look so good.  I said I don’t know what designer it was and tell her the story of the 2 dresses. Today I looked at the label and Mr. Joey had no idea but he just bought me a Ralph Laruen designer dress.  I think I will let him be surprised when the bill comes.  Thank God we only have one kid and 2 dresses. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow Melinda what a way to start your day, but its so wonderful that in the end it all worked out for and I am so pleased for you. Certainly an experience that you will never forget but laugh a lot about now its all over.

    My own first childs wedding nightmare was when my daughters furture mother in-law insisted on asking me what style of dress I was going to wear, and of course you never know do, was it going to be just above or to the knee suit style or something loose like an over blouse with a longer skirt way below the knee style. I just did not know what I would see but gave in and said something loose and flowing with a longer skirt. months latter of course I had forgotten this and while out looking one day I found the perfect outfit, then on the day we all arrived and here is the mother in-law in this very loose flowing almost to the ankle outfit (which mind you she had a lovely figure and did not need to wear a style like that) and I arrive in this fitted suite with skirt just above the knee........gee was that a great way to start a new family relationship or what.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to pee my pants from laughing! I loved your story and the way Joe handled it-and you! You've certainly got a keeper there. What a tale-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation on your new daughter-in-law. She has a mother-in-law that will keep her in stitches. (With quilts and laughter)

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a riot. I can't imagine the terror of having nothing to wear. Congrats on the wedding. It must be fun to have a daughter now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! Are we going to get to see this dress?

    ReplyDelete
  6. as soon as we get the pictures i will post the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wish for you is that your son has as good a marriage as you and Joe have, or should I say Mr. Joey?
    Congratulations to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the story. Can't wait to see THE DRESS. I know it was not a fun experience at the time, but it was a great story since it turned out so well. Try to get a picture of Joe when the bill comes in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a beautiful story to read first thing in the morning. I'm so glad you wore the dress Mr. Joey bought you...And I know just what you mean about not being able to take off spanks while sweaty!! LOL

    I call my Spanx my sausage casing...

    Congratulations on the wedding! And my mother would have said that money is never wasted on a high quality dress that looks good on you. It will be your go-to dress for years to come. I hope you got a good pic of you and Mr. Joey...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melinda how wonderful!!! Congrats on the wedding and gaining a daughter... You are too funny. Having nothing to wear, all women say that even when we have a closet full. Remember this is our excuse to have fun and find something new and exciting to make us look just right for those special occasions... At least this is what I tell my husband. Men never understand. Congrats, and great post

    ReplyDelete