Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Something Out Of Nothing

I made this soft and cuddly knitted shawl two years ago. I got it out to wear to dinner the other night and found, of course after I got home, that there were holes in the fabric. It looked like it had been chewed. I tried to fix them but another hole showed up and then another. It made me sick. This was expensive yarn!


With a disgusted look on my face I grabbed the whole thing and threw it in the trash.  I think I even stomped my foot as I walked by the over-stuffed trash can. By the time I got to the door of my studio I paused and went back to the trash can and pulled the shawl out.  It’s just so soft.  I know there is something I can do with this, but what? 
What if I used my sewing machine and zig-zagged with black thread over the holes?  How about doing straight lines of zig-zag stitches all down the shawl?  It needed more. And then I remembered I have a bag of laser cut wool circles I bought two years ago at Quilters Affair in Sisters, OR. 
I think they were made up for the Sue Spargo class. I had no idea what I would use them for at the time.


I started by laying the circles on the three holes to be fixed.  Then I added more and layered them randomly all over the shawl.  I stitched them into the knitted shawl.

Then I did some more zig-zag stitches up and down the shawl.  With an extra ball of yarn I crocheted a ruffle on the ends of the shawl to give it a nice finishing touch. 
Then added a big vintage Bakelite button.
Front
I think I like this better than the original! I love creativity!
Back






3 comments:

  1. Very clever and cool! An original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling of trashing a project! You did an awesome job of repurposing your hard work! Yay Melinda!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it! So glad you pulled it out of the trash. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete