Friday, November 19, 2010

What's In a Name?


Just yesterday I got, in the mail,  my teaching packet for Houston IQA next year, 2011.  Didn't I just get home 2 weeks ago from Houston?  They need my teaching proposal by December 15th.  I think they just want to mess with me. So the last 2 days I have been writing up proposals and designing a new pattern.  I am supposed to be on vacation. They have asked me to teach the Zinnia again. Wow!  I thought I would also add a new flower to my repertoire.
I have been drawing and studying the Texas bluebonnet, which looks a lot like a California lupine. I guess it depends on where you see them blooming.  I first saw the lupine on the rolling hillside of La Selva Beach, north of Monterey. We lived there for 2 years when Matt was a toddler.  Every day, out my window, was this breathtaking view of the ocean all the way to Monterey and then, in the spring it, was the blue and purple lupine covering the hillside that ran down to the ocean.  Yes, it was heaven.  I would spend hours amazed at the wonder of God's beauty that I was so blessed to see every day.
I have a friend, Janice, who sent me pictures of fields in Texas covered in this beautiful bluebonnet flower. One picture was of her grandchildren sitting in the fields of blue.  I now know why she moved to Texas (plus. you can carry a gun in your purse).  She was going through a messy divorce at the time and I bet she wished she could have had a gun, back when she was living in California.  For those of you who do not know how to take a joke, that was one.  I recently had a neighbor read my blog where I stated, "I wanted a gun for Mothers Day, but no one would give me one".  They thought I was serious, so now when I make a joke, I have to put in a disclaimer:  This blog site may not be fit for sad, depressing people, who can't laugh at themself.

I recently was speaking in Canada and made a comment in my lecture about something funny Joe had said about himself.  He was referring to an old picture I took of him. I always liked the picture but he didn’t.  When I got home from this trip, there was an email from someone in the audience that I had offended.  I didn't say a bad word or make fun of the queen, who isn't really there leader anyway.  I didn't make fun of anyone or a race, gender or belief.  But I did quote what my husband had said about himself.   I did apologize to the person and I felt bad that  I hurt her feelings.  But, after some thought, I felt very sorry for her that she can't laugh at the funny things people say in life.   Now I guess I can't quote the funny, goofy things my family says without offending some people.  I also took it out of my lecture.
But recently, while speaking in southern California, just for fun, and because I like to stir things up, I threw out that same remark and this time, like every time prior to Canada, got a big laugh.  Oh, well.
So I am sorry to all that I have offended in the past, but I am just going to be me.  Just know that my heart is in the right place. I am not here to hurt anyone. I just want to make my art that hopefully makes others happy. Soon, I am afraid; I will run out of thing to blog about.  

Hopefully, no one is offended by a California girl doing a Texas bluebonnet, which really looks like a lupine to me. I have been told there is a difference and I am sure it’s called by another name in Europe. To me, it’s just another beautiful flower that has to be captured.


So, if everything goes as planned, and it never does, I might be teaching this new pattern, Texas bluebonnet, next year in Houston along with the Zinnia and the Hibiscus.  I will keep you posted.  And look for my new pattern; it’s a chic designer purse for your small and discrete hand gun that I will be showcasing at spring market. Relax,  it’s a joke!

11 comments:

  1. The flowers look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Us crafty Texas girls with a carry license could use an cute bag that holds(disguises) our guns! I enjoyed taking your Zinnia class in Houston. Looking forward to seeing your finished bluebonnet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - California girls can also get a carry license. Have you got that pattern finished yet? Couldn't resist looking up lupine on the internet :-) USDA plant database: the genus Lupinus, part of Fabaceae family (pea family), grows in 47 of the 50 states. Don't ask me why it doesn't grow in Arkansas, Missouri, or Tennessee! Canada's got 'em too - all except for Manitoba and Newfoundland. In Europe they just drop off the e and call 'em Lupin. There are some gorgeous ones in New Zealand too - called Russell Lupine (with the e LOL)! Luv the ones you've quilted - thanks for posting pictures of the BEAUTIFUL ones you have done. I luv the way you capture the full beauty of each flower when you quilt it! And what is it they say about laughing - something about you exercise more muscles all at same time by laughing that any other form of exercise - ergo, the less we take ourselves seriously, the skinnier we will get!!! Please don't change a thing about yourself Melinda - LOL and hit the delete button on grouches - after all, Houston invited you to come again and do the SAME class :-) p.s. sorry my comment is soooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the new pattern whatever you might call it!!
    However, being a biologist (and yes, even more geeky - being married to one too!LOL) I had to look at the "issue" - when in doubt if plants are the same thing or highly related/close, just search for their Latin name! And of course you are right - any Texas bluebonnet and any California Lupine are really related and all belong to the family called Lupinus! AND even funnier I found our that even Texans can't agree which blue bonnet is their flower!! Here is the link with the story:
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/flowers/bluebonnet/bluebonnetstory.html

    Anyway - I am looking forward to my own opportunity to take your class someday and create beauty in fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family is all in Texas, except for me. My Mom LOVES bluebonnets - so I must get the bluebonnet pattern ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastico trabajo ,me encanta lo que haces ,me encantaria aprender a hacerlo.Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the most hilarious reads I've seen in a while! I am still laughing out loud. The "flowers" are exquisite, as usual. Now I must take one of your classes. Houston, I hope, if not before
    reason#1 - To learn about your beauty and creativity.
    reason #2 - I think is must be terrific fun to spend time with you in a classroom.

    PS. I haven't gotten my carry license in TN yet. But will work on that soon. (it's a joke)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, there is at least one Canadian who thinks you're a hoot! Bring it on girl. I just discovered your blog but I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy new year! Any time you want flower inspiration, come on down to Chico State where imwork in the rare book section of the library...we have a mind blowing collection of watercolors of over 200 beauties...they were painted in the field! Known as the Edward Stuhl collection!
    There are gorgeous lupines in there too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly, not all of us Canadians are so grumpy or sensitive! I love your sense of humour, it's refreshing. Be yourself and don't change a thing. The world needs more people laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, we Texas girls love our guns and our bluebonnets! You did a fantastic job with your painting; wish you were teaching that new pattern somewhere near me (Dallas)!

    ReplyDelete